Saturday 11 August 2012

Mixed Emotions - The Olympic Pennant Finale


                                                         

Those who follow me will know that the Olympic pennant started out it's journey in February of this year and I documented the story of it and the history behind it here:

 http://stitchingwithattitude.blogspot.ca/2012/02/remembering-your-roots-olympic-pennant.html

What I didn't reveal at the time was the saga of getting it to England and into the hands of the Cultural Olympiad group looking after the pennants and quilts. Due to unforeseen circumstances I was pressed to make the deadline for the pennant's arrival in England.  Consequently no time was available to add a pocket on the pennant to put in a note for the athlete who would eventually receive it.  It was instead carefuly packaged to the hilt, rushed to the post office, where I decided to bite the bullet and ship it by extraordinary means to get it to England in FOUR days. It was an expensive risk but surprisingly, Canada Post came through for me, at least initially and the pennant landed in England within the aforementioned time frame.  However, once it got there, I could see by the tracking numbers that it had not yet been delivered to the recipient.  I assumed ( and I was right) that it was held up in customs. E-mails between myself and the recipient ensued and we knew that if it was in customs, time was not of the essence, even though they could see it was " Rush Priority".  Two weeks later it still had not been delivered but the tracking was suddenly showing it was "on hold" at a London borough post office.  Five days later it was still listed as " on hold" and after considerable efforts, I could not reach a postal contact Brit-side.  I finally was able to communicate with a rep from the Quilts for London office and she said she would investigate.  Yes, they said at the Brit post office, they had sent them a letter about it and it should be there " tomorrow".  Long story short - it seems that there have been changes in the financial amount allowed for a gift going into the country ( of which Canada Post was not aware) and that combined with the dreadful drop in exchange rates worldwide, my pennant was now being held hostage for VAT etc. in the amount of 35.96 POUNDS ( for "charges and clearance fees". )
Quilts for London was flabbergasted, as was I.  However, within 24 hours, I received an e mail from them which read in part, " Pennant has arrived - it's fantastic, absolutely brilliant. Below is the link  to our customs and excise duties for your post office. Please do not worry about sending us anything, you have already spent a lot on getting it to us. "  I had of course offered to pay for the release but I must say Quilts for London was most gracious and generous in the manner in which they handled everything. A special thanks to Irene.

After it's initiation to London, and a 4 month whirlwind tour around the city and surround, I have just learned of it's final destination.  I am delighted to learn that my pennant has been gifted to Euan Burton, a Scottish judoka and flagship fighter for the British Judo team.  My sweet little Mum who is now very frail and elderly was over the moon to think a British athlete was now in possession of the pennant.

                                                 
Of course, I wanted to know more about this young man to share with her and searched the internet for information on him and the Great Britain judo team.  I was happy to learn how highly thought of he was by his coaches, fellow team mates and rival athletes. I discovered he had strong family ties to his parents and brother and also had the most beautiful lady friend in Gemma Gibbons, a fellow judoka who also was a member of the GB Olympic team. It was comforting to know that the pennant I created out of so much love for my family was now in the hands of the most decent of men and one who revered his own family.  I watched and waited with anticipation for the Opening of the Olympics and saw Euan and his Gemma march into the stadium with their team mates.  I sought out the time and dates that Euan would be on the mats. He was considered a medal contender and there was a great deal of pressure on him to perform.  In judo, as in any Olympic sport I would guess, it only takes a nano second for the wind to change.  Much to my horror, Euan was taken down by of all people, a young Canadian athlete, 22 yr. old Antoine Valois-Fortier, who went on to win the bronze medal for Canada. Of course, I was pleased for our Canadian athlete, but I felt heartsick for Euan, who at 33, was reaching the pinnacle of his career and had put up such a valiant effort for his team.  I knew his heart must be breaking but he was most gracious in defeat and I admired his absolute class and good sportsmanship. After a day or so to collect himself, Euan was front and centre to support his lovely girfriend and fellow team mate Gemma as she went on to win the silver medal in her division.    
                                                       Gemma with silver       - photo cr. euan burton

Much like her bloke, she's a girl made of the right stuff - classy in the way she handled her win and gutsy as hell, having broken her thumb in her first match and yet still soldiering on to win the next four matches and landing the silver.  Congratulations Gemma - you rock!    Euan, ever the gentleman, exuberant and thrilled for his girl, " tweeted" his pride and obvious love for his Gem to the world.

I hope, with time, Euan will look at my pennant and when he sees those maple leaves, they will not stir sad or negative memories but will remind him of the amazing experience he had of proudly representing his country and sharing the joys and emotions with the lady he cherishes and his loving family. You sir are a man among men and I salute you !  With your attitude, skill sets and strong character, you have an amazing future ahead of you.  The best of luck to you and yours.

                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment