Wednesday 24 October 2012

A Colorful Surprise !


                                                     

Like many of you, I enjoy following certain blogs that interest me and one of those I follow is the Craft Gossip site.  Under it's umbrella are several blogs run by various editors, each with their own expertise.   I personally have my favorites, but if you go to their home page  http://craftgossip.com/  you will find a myriad of categories along the left hand page to click on.

In late September,  Sarah E. White, the Knitting Editor, held a giveaway for the marvellous autobiography " Dreaming in Color" by Kaffe Fassett. In order to qualify, one had to comment on her blog as to " what's your favorite color"?  I seldom enter blog competitions but having held a fascination for Mr. Fassett for a number of years, I decided to respond to Sarah's question.  I never thought any more about it and went on my merry way.  In early October, much to my amazement, I received an e-mail from Sarah to say I was the lucky winner of the book and yesterday it arrived safe and sound at my door. I was surprised to find, unlike most autobiographies, this one was more in the form of a heavy coffee table book, which featured extensive photographs of Kaffe's gorgeous needle work, his interior designs, his world travels, friends and family.
In spite of juggling a couple of deadlines in the studio, I was drawn away to sit down at the table and leaf slowly through the pages of the book.  The colors are magnificent and take your breath away and the story lines look most intriguing too.  It is an absolutely mesmerizing tome.  I must have sat for a good hour taking in all the beauty and it was most stimulating, inspiring and delightful.

 





Just as I alighted on the next photo (below) of the Fassett dining room, the main man in my household peered over my shoulder. OMG, he stated, how do you see the food on your plate?  Well, I guess he does have a point there BUT the colorful busyness of it all does have a certain ambience.


Who among us does not find joy in color? This book literally sings to you and I have not yet even begun to read the written word about this gifted artist's life. I look forward to a " time out" in the not too distant future to read his story and further peruse the intriguing photos in more depth. 
                            
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Sarah White for her generous spirit in sharing this gift and especially for covering the mailing costs incurred delivering it to me here in Canada.  Thanks so much Sarah.  I am most appreciative of your kindness and will enjoy this book over and over for years to come.  

                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment