Wednesday 1 February 2012

Auditioning for the Olympics !

What do artists and athletes have in common?  Well, how about the British Summer Olympic games in July 2012 ?   I'm pleased to have been invited to participate in The London 2012 Cultural Olympiad by creating a pennant, one of several, that will be travelling around the UK, beginning in March 2012.  They will be displayed in galleries, museums, exhibitions and archives around London and the surrounding areas up to the commencement of the Games and then hung in various Olympic venues for the duration of the Games.  Once the Games conclude, it is hoped there will be enough pennants to give one as a gift of good-will to each athlete participating, to take home with them.
Creating a pennant sounds easy enough until you read all the restrictions involved, the major one being Olympic branding!  Whew, so many " do nots" including the use of even the numbers " 2012".  Then there are restrictions on materials due to import legalities for some countries, such as Australia, for one.
I have given this a great deal of thought and decided to salute my British roots and my Canadian homeland.  I auditioned a few fabrics and embellishments and came up with this basic package:
I also have a few special surprise additions that I will share with you as we go along.  However,  it is full steam ahead as the committee have changed the deadline due to additional venues being added, so I will be camped out in the studio for the next few days!
Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Leonie, the organization is lucky to have you create a pennant! Your pennant will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vic for your confidence in me! It will be a challenge considering size, conditions, time constraints etc. However - I'm up for it ! (-:

    ReplyDelete