Monday 6 February 2012

More Auditions & Aggro of Olympic Proportions!

Fortunately, by the time of this writing, I have passed this stage and I'm now well into stitching the lettering on the Olympic pennant.  What it all boils down to is some self-discipline and the ability to pace oneself under pressure.  It's easy enough to create when you personally set the parameters, if there are any, and you can merrily fly along changing things as you go to your heart's desire.  However, it is an entirely different matter, when sizes, conditions, limitations and deadlines are set by an outside source. The finished pennant must be 12 " x 16" on completion and we were given a variety of pennant shapes we could use.  I did not want one too angular as I wished to add some photos on fabric which would be very difficult to re-shape.  I decided on a fairly simple shape and then found that I could not find my large sketch pad to rough it out on.  ( Still sorting boxes from our house move ). I had an " aha" moment as I walked into my supply room and saw some old Art Bra calendars, now out of date. Perfect  - they were 12 inches wide and ready to be recycled into my Archway pennant pattern. 



Having my roughed out pattern in the exact size I required, I then prepared my blue  fabric, backed it with a stabilizer, and basted the pattern shape from the back with red thread so I had a clear outline on the front.  More auditions, measuring and spacing of photos and embellishments. It's the measuring that always give me the willies.  I remember the old adage "measure twice, cut once "!  How about measure half a dozen times and make damned sure, which is what I tend to do, especially where lettering is concerned.  Once those letters are beaded, believe me I don't want to have to pick them out and move them!  Once the measuring was as accurate as I hoped it could be, then it was time to print out some letters.  However, a battle with a leaky marker frustrated the efforts further.  I finished up with a black ball point instead and then laid on the flags to see how the overall layout looked size wise.  I think this is going to work.......


Now, a little teaser as to what will go under the last line of lettering:

                                          

Whatever could this have to do with the British Summer Olympics?  Stay tuned........                                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment