Thursday 16 February 2012

Remembering Your Roots - the Olympic Pennant

After an intense few sessions in the studio and staring down a deadline, I am happy to say the pennant for the Cultural Olympiad,  part of the London 2012 Summer Olympics has been completed and is currently winging its way to England. The title of the pennant was taken from the beautiful metal leaf created for me by Jenny Friske- Baer of Divine Spark Designs in Arizona, USA.  Jenny is a very talented lampworker and metal artist whose work I have purchased for some time now and she was gracious in allowing me to use her work and name in this exciting project. 

When I see so many dedicated, enthusiastic athletes competing in Olympic events, I often think of their families and the love, sacrifices and unwaivering support they receive from them.  Also, I think of the countries they represent, their sponsors who have such faith in them, and whose expectations of them are high.
I wanted this pennant to be a reminder to all, that whatever country one may be representing, be it their native land or an adopted country, to remember their roots and to recognize, respect and be proud of their cultural backgrounds and family ties.  I think the majority of athletes feel this way and this is what I wished to represent through my offering.  This pennant was created by me to honour my own family history and the love and respect I have for my Mother and late Father.  As I was born in London, England and my family roots are there, it was even more of an honour for me to partcipate in this project.  Now living in London, Canada, it was fitting to send my gift from London to London:


What would a gift from Canada be without our crimson Maple Leaves front and centre?  Our more youthful Canadian flag and Britain's old faithful Union Jack are represented, along with the everloving emblems of the British bull dog and the Canadian beaver.  The beaver picture also features the Canadian Red Ensign, our former flag, which was flying on Canadian shores when my family first landed here.  The central photo is of my beautiful Mum, quite pale and wan, although bravely smiling, while still grieving for the loss of her beloved Mother, killed in the London blitz of WW11 and my loving, optimistic Dad, holding a tiny, bewildered Léonie, as they waited to disembark from the Empress of Canada decks to our new homeland.
It is with a sense of pride for my British roots and a deep love and loyalty to my Canadian citizenship, that I honour all the participants of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games.
Beginning in early March, the pennants will travel around England to several museums, galleries and textile events where they will be displayed.  They will return to London in July and hang in various Olympic venues and then once the games are declared officially over, the pennants will be distributed to individual athletes and delegations as a lasting and meaningful souvenir of the 2012 summer games.
As more information becomes available, I will give you updates as to where the pennants are being displayed and hopefully, we will find out where  " RememberYour Roots" will finally call home.

Thank you to these two dear souls who have given me such a wonderful life filled with endless opportunities, unconditional love, encouragement and support.
 I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment